Unified Messaging in Exchange allows an administrator to integrate Microsoft Exchange 2013 with an Organization’s voice infrastructure. Exchange can extend voicemail and auto-attendant functionality that integrates directly with a user’s mailbox and calendar.
- Collection and Transcription of Voicemails
- Caller ID
- Contact Store
- Outlook Voice Access (OVA)
- Auto attendant
In Exchange 2013, the Unified Messaging platform is no longer deployed as a separate server role. UM processes now run on the Client Access server and Mailbox server roles.
- Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging Call Router service (Microsoft.Exchange. UM.CallRouter.exe): Runs on a Client Access Server and proxies Session Initialization Protocol (SIP) traffic that’s generated from an incoming calls to the Mailbox Server.
- Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging service (umservice.exe): Sets up a media channel Runs on a Mailbox Server and plays voice mail greetings, processes call answering rules, and invites the caller to leave a voice message. The Mailbox server then records the voice message, creates a transcription of the message, and deposits it in the user’s mailbox.
- UM Worker Process (UMWorkerProcess.exe): Runs on a Mailbox Server and is used to interact with all incoming and outgoing requests received by the Unified Messaging service and is managed by the UM Worker Process manager.
- UM Dial Plans: (Parameters: Dial Codes | Outlook Voice Access | Dialing Rules (In-country and International) | Dialing Authorization | Transfer and Search)
- UM Mailbox Policies: Links UM-enabled mailboxes with a UM dial plan (Parameters: User Features | Message Text | PIN policies | Dialing Authorization | Protected Voice Mail)
- UM Autoattendant: Call answering and menu navigation features (Parameters: Language | Greetings | Business Hours | Menu Navigation | Address book and Operator Access | Dialing authorization)
- UM hunt group: Determines which UM IP gateways to accept incoming calls from for a particular UM dial plan
- UM Performance Counters
Common Administrative Tasks:
- Create a Dial Plan: New-UMDialPlan
- Assign servers to a Dial Plan:
Mailbox Server: Set-UMService -identity Server -Dialplans DialPlan
CAS Server: Set-UMCallRouterSettings –server Server –DialPlans DialPlan
- Set Startup mode to dual or TLS:
Mailbox Server: Set-UMService -identity -UMStartupMode dual
CAS Server: Set-UMCallRouterSettings: UMStartupMode dual
- Install SSL Certificate:
Mailbox Server: Enable-ExchangeCertificate –thumbprint ‘thumbprint’ –services UM
CAS Server: Enable-ExchangeCertificate –Server ‘SERVER’ –thumbprint ‘thumbprint’ –services umcallrouter
- Restart Services:
Mailbox Server: Restart-Service –msExchangeUM
CAS Server: Restart-Service msExchangeUMCR
- Configure SIP Ports on CAS Server: Set-UMCallRouterSettings
- Configure Speech transcription: Set-UMMailbox –VoiceMailAnalysisEnabled
Top PowerShell Commands/Tools:
– exchucutil.ps1 script is used to create UM IP gateways and UM hunt group
Exchange Server 2013 Voice Architecture here.
Blogpost: Lync Integration with Exchange 2013 here.
Technet: Powershell Commands.
Tutorial: Configuring UM with 3CX
Legacy Exchange 2010 UM Architecture here.